Thursday, July 29, 2010


Another Mexican street food recipe! Every heard of vaselote? I hadn't either until Jose introduced me to this heavenly corn snack, and now its one of my faves! It's Mexican comfort food at it's best. It is sold everywhere in Mexico going by the name vaselote or esquite. By either name... its good! You can order it however you like, off the cob, on the cob, extra chili powder, with lime juice, without lime juice, less mayo, more mayo, extra cheesy or less cheesy (but who would ever want anything LESS cheesy???). I didn't have time to actually grill the corn, so in order to give it that charred smokey taste, I used canned corn and put it in a dry skillet and charred it a bit over high heat. You can use queso fresco or queso cojita. Queso fresco is milder and moister, queso cojita is more crumbly and has a bit stronger flavor. I set out all the ingredients and let people put them together however they wanted. Scrumptious corny goodness... Ole!


Vaselote


Ingredients


Corn

2 cans sweet corn

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 tbsp salt


Drain corn well, heat a heavy bottomed skillet over high heat. When skillet is hot add corn. Cook stirring often until corn is lightly browned (if some pieces get a little charred this is good as it adds to the flavor!). When corn is light brown, add in butter and salt. Stir often until butter is melted. Remove from heat.


Add Ins

Salt

Sour cream

Mayonnaise

Queso fresco

Lime juice

Chili powder

Salsa Valentina (or Tabasco sauce)


I would recommend that each person serve themselves so that they can add whichever ingredients in whatever quantity they would like.


My favorite combination.....

For each individual vaselote, put 1 spoonful of mayo or sour cream in the bottom of a small dish or glass. Top with one cup of corn. Top corn with more mayo/sour cream, queso fresco, chili powder and a bit of salsa and about 2 tsp of lime juice. Mix well. Top with a bit more queso and chili powder. Serve.

]


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! When I was living in Mexico City for a summer I ate it ALL the time. I sometimes make it at home but in a simpler process - just slather some mayo, lime juice, and chili powder onto corn on the cob. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sold it like that in Morelia too but you could also order it in a glass which I liked cause it was less messy. Either way it is AMAZING! How long were you in Mexico City for?

    ReplyDelete