Sunday, July 25, 2010

Irish Soda Bread Muffins



Good Morning! Happy Sunday! I love Irish Soda Bread. When I was living in co-op housing during college, our cook could make a GREAT Irish Soda bread, and ever since then I have been searching for a comprable recipe. I wanted a bread that was fluffy, and full of raisins. Raisins are one of my favorite ingredients and when incorporated into the bread they become moist and delicious. The original recipe called for currants but I only had raisins and prunes so I chopped up the prunes and added them in with the raisins. Making this recipe literally took me 10 minutes. It is super quick and makes a great weekend morning breakfast, especially when topped with a bit of butter and some jam or honey. I made 12 regualr size muffins and 12 mini muffins because I only have one regular size muffin tin. These are best eaten warm so if you don't eat them right away, be sure to heat them up in the microwave before enjoying later! Leftovers (if you have any!) can be frozen and reheated.


Irish Soda Bread Muffins

Adapted from www.RecipeGirl.com


Ingredients



2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk (I used low fat)
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup raisins or other fruit


Process

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease small muffin tins or large muffin tins.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


With pastry cutter or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add in raisins.


In a small bowl or cup, stir together buttermilk and egg until blended.


Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes (longer for the larger muffins), or until cake tester inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.


Remove muffin tin or tins to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.

Yield: 12 regular- sized muffins plus 12 mini muffins



Have a beautiful rest of your weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Just a tip to readers who want to make this in the A.M. but don't have the buttermilk, you can add 1 TBSP lemon juice or 1 TBSP vinegar or 1 3/4 TBSP Cream of Tartar to one cup of milk and get great results. I always make my Irish Soda bread like this mmm I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks again

    Mallory

    mommypants13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete