Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Whisked Away Wednesday: Buttercrunch Cookies



Happy Wednesday! Last time I was at New Seasons, they had a cookie sample of “Buttercrunch Cookies.” I tried them and they were sooo good, they had a butterscotch/toffee flavor with a bit of crunch. I ended up calling the store later and asking the girl that was working in the bakery to read me the ingredients. I was surprised when she said they included cornflakes. I decided to try and replicate these yummy cookies at home. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a recipe that included all the key ingredients from the original cookie (cornflakes, coconut, and butterscotch chips). So I found a recipe for cornflake cookies that didn’t include coconut or butterscotch chips and I modified it to include them. The cookies turned out really yummy, the best part is the great crunchiness and texture the coconut and cornflakes add. They are almost the consistency of a pecan sandy, just a bit chewier. If you bake them longer you will get a crisper cookie, but I like my cookies soft and chewy, so I pulled them out when the edges began to brown. This is a great recipe and super easy to make. It makes quite a lot of dough so it may be good to half the recipe. I made the full recipe and froze part of the dough so I can make cookies on demand :) Happy baking!

Buttercrunch Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup crushed corn flakes
½ cup coconut
½ cup butterscotch chips
1 cup regular oats
3 1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.

Cream butter, sugars, vanilla and egg.

Add oil.

Mix in dry ingredients (you do not need to put them in a separate bowl to do this, just add them all in and stir).

Form dough into balls. Place on cookie Bake for 10- 12 minutes.Cool on pan for a minute or two, then transfer to a rack to cool.








1 comment:

  1. Those look great! Along with the yummy pancakes. Can't wait to see some Mexican cooking that I can try at home.

    And about the cilantro - my hubs doesn't like it either! It's so weird because cilantro grows everywhere in Honduras and you can walk outside and pick it for cooking - yet he insists he can't stand it. He makes cooking quite a difficult endeavor!

    ReplyDelete